Sunday, February 24, 2013

Rescue

 
I have to admit, I am totally drained sitting here writing this. Ryan is in Haiti on a mission trip, which means I am flying solo. Honestly, him being gone hasn't been as taxing as I anticipated. The moments I feel his absence the most are during our nighttime routine. Trying to cook dinner, feed my 4 little ones, bathe them, and get them in bed all by myself is wearing me out! I am physically and emotionally pooped. However, overall,being here for 5 days alone is going pretty smooth I truly do not know how women who have husband's that travel frequently do it! I am so proud of the work Ryan is doing in Haiti, and I would love to write all about it, but I want to save that for him to post about when he gets home. I will say that what he has seen there has been quite overwhelming. There is so much need, and not nearly enough aide....in every aspect. I'm sure he feels like it's almost not even worth trying because it is such a hopeless situation. Do you ever feel that way? I feel that way when I think about human trafficking and when I think about orphans. There is such a need, there is no way to "fix" the problem, so is it worth even trying? How can I possibly make a difference? When I get consumed with these thoughts, the Lord reminds me that He is not calling me to "fix" the whole problem. He doesn't expect us to go out there and eliminate all the hurt and suffering in this world, because our world is sinful. There is evil in this world, and there always will be. What the Lord DOES expect me to do is do what I can....which is to TRY. I must try to help the needy, broken, and poor in whatever way He is calling me. Deuteronomy 15:11 says, "For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, "You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor"'. When I become overwhelmed with thoughts of hopelessness, I remind myself to focus on one person, one piece of the giant puzzle, and do my best to help that one person. If I can help even one needy person, then it is worth it.


In church this morning, we sang a song called Rescue by Jared Anderson. It is such a beautiful song, that was just what I needed. Here are some of the lyrics:

You are the source of life
I can't be left behind
No one else will do
I will take hold of You

I need You Jesus to come to my rescue
Where else can I go?
There's no other name by which I am saved
Capture me with grace
I will follow You

My heart is yours for life
I need your hand in mine
No one else will do
I put my trust You

What a wonderful reminder. No matter how hopeless a situation or problem is, we can call on the name of Jesus and He will not leave us alone. This past week, I was thinking about our adoption, and how I am so thankful He has called us to adopt. At the same time, I was thinking about all of the orphans that will still be out there, and how I'm dreading going to the orphanage and seeing all the children that will be left behind. I was also thinking about all the Haitian people that Ryan is coming into contact with, and how they have so many needs that will probably never be met. There just aren't enough people out there that are willing to care for the orphans and the needy.  As I was thinking these thoughts, a children's song that my girls sing at church kept playing over and over in my head, " My God is so big, so strong and so mighty,There's nothing my God cannot do". I was reminded that not even a year ago, I would not have thought that Ryan would go on his first mission trip, and that we would be in the process of adopting a teenager from Ukraine! These things are happening because of God. And if He can choose to use people like us, then He can certainly use other people that currently have no thoughts of reaching out to the needy, poor, broken, and orphaned. We aren't responsible for changing the world, we are just responsible for doing our share...whatever that may be.



No comments:

Post a Comment